Monday, March 22, 2010

spiral hems

I organized the spiral patterns on a page so I can refer to them by number. Or I ought to give them names, d'ya think? Maybe I will after I finally make a test for Skirt 1.

Anyway I made another Skirt 3. Here it is with the gores all together, and then together with a hem. I only need to make the elastic waist and that's quick.
Karen picked out those fabrics!



I wrestled with the serger yesterday! Felt like an hour, probably not that long. It should have been easy to change the threads, yet everything went haywire. Wrong tension or snapping, one looper mysteriously not threaded... started over from scratch and it was worse! Imagine a machine you need tweezers to thread. But once it finally got working right, it makes hems just like a charm. I serged the edge of Karen's skirt. Took only a few minutes, brrrrrrr around there, and it's done.

I pulled my spiral dress out of the closet, where it's been hanging ever since I made it. Remember that dress? How long's it been? Whenever I've had to sit down for a while, I've worked on hemming it by hand. I've gotten a couple feet of the hem done that way. Oh boy, how exciting...
Well I ripped out the couple feet of handstitched hem and serged around the edge. Five minutes and it's done. FORGET about some more elegant solution, let's wear the blasted thing this year, while I'm still walking around would be nice! It's not like there's going to be a surprise hem inspection! It looks fine enough :-)