Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Eggless, Milkless Peanut Butter Cookies

Those butt-ugly black chickens (Australorps don't stay cute for long) haven't started laying yet and I don't trust the cow milk not to be radioactive, so I quit buying it. 

I basically threw flour, butter, peanut butter and honey together with some baking powder and baked it, but I did take the trouble to measure as stuff went in!  Just in case I had a winner.  And I did!  They were great! 

1 and 1/3 sticks of butter (not cups)
3 and 2/3 cup wheat flour plus 1 cup barley flour that I found in a baggie
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 of a 36 oz jar peanut butter
1 and 1/4 cup honey

I scooped them from an old ice cream scoop that has its handle broken off but I still use for cookies because it still works better than two spoons, flattened them with my hand (they're for family) and baked at 400 for 6 minutes with the fan on. 
The fan does make a difference! 
And boy, that oven cooks better since I got it fixed.  Duh, right?  It's had a bad thermostat for like two years now and I was too cheap to get it fixed.  It would take forever to preheat, but I'd just turn on the broiler to speed things up and then it would limp through.  
It cost TWO HUNDRED BUCKS for the guy to come out, but I admit it's nice to have the cookies come out right again  :-)