Friday, May 6, 2011

Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination and Invigorates the Soul

As usual, with books I check out from the library, I only found time to read a couple chapters of it on my way out the door to bring it back.
What I got from the little bit I read was extremely enlightening and maybe even life-changing.  I need to prioritize "playtime" for myself, not just the kids?
Yes, really. 

When I think about "playing" on purpose, as defined by the book, I feel something best described as a whiff of fresh air, as a sign of hope.

I often wonder if backwoods equals backwards, and I've been in the woods a whole lot.  Just a natural hermit I guess, I'm more comfortable among trees than among people, but you can't stay in the woods ALL the time! 

Here's Stuart Brown defining "play" for a group of engineers: 



PLAY by Stuart Brown, M.D.

The Institute for Play

Video: 
A pioneer in research on play, Dr. Stuart Brown says humor, games, roughhousing, flirtation and fantasy are more than just fun. Plenty of play in childhood makes for happy, smart adults -- and keeping it up can make us smarter at any age.