Sunday, April 29, 2012

New Spiral Skirt Finished

Finished, she said? It's not hemmed yet. I serged around the edges and wore it to town like that. 

I wanted a really ruffly skirt this time. Phooey on convention, I want ruffles. So I used five gores of skirt 4B, the 6" width (which I don't think is on the site yet but I'll put it up soon, I'm redoing the whole thing)

This was really, really the end on some of those fabrics. For instance, here's how one of the blue gore pieces went together... in slivers! 

spiral-blue-green-piecing

Five gores of skirt 4B produced this. Very much what I had in mind! Super ruffly! But too short for me, only 24" long. 

spiral-blue-green-4 spiral-blue-green-1

It would be great for a little girl. For a while I put it away, pondering whether I should finish it and list it on ebay for some lucky little girl, or try to pick out the whole thing. 

Secret weapon! Mikey to the rescue. I paid Mike $5 to pick out all those gores for me. I only had him pick the actual seams, then used the rotary cutter to trim the zigzagging off the edges. 

Spiral-Mike-picking-2411

Then I made six more gore sections from Skirt 3, which is a gentler curve, attached those above the others, and sewed the whole thing together again. 
I didn't have enough of some of the fabrics, so I used something just close. It's not too obvious, is it? 

 spiral-Janel-2795 spiral-Janel-2793

And there we are, all done. I like it!