Monday, January 21, 2013

Crochet Rag Rug

I used fabric strips and a size Q crochet hook, for the "braided rug" look. 

I made one of these many years ago, but it didn't last long.  First time I put it through the washer it came undone in several places.  This time I used only large pieces of leftover fabric and cut them into huge spirals, to minimize joining, and whenever I had to join a new strip, I made sure to overlap by six or eight inches so that it was wound through two complete stitches.  (I'd meant to SEW all the strips together this time for security, but you know about good intentions.  I think this will stay together!!) 

Boy, it goes fast!  It's also hard work!  Wrestling a hook that large requires shoulders, not just fingers!  So I only worked on it a little here and there.  It was still done really fast. 

The pattern is just single crochet all around, with two sc in each of the six points. 

crocheting-size-Q-fabric-rug-2 crocheting-size-Q-fabric-rug-1 crochet-fabric-strips-rug crochet-rug-done