As I said, when I finished Mike's quilt, I thought I was doing something really nice and selfless by opening up a real store-bought batting to trim down to size for it. But the result was so thin and useless I was almost ashamed to give it to him.
For the next effort I'm more certain about using "junk" for the batting! One layer of a Disney Ariel flannel sheet I got at the free swap (I despise that character) and one layer of old cotton thermal weave blanket. Already you can tell this is going to be a NICE thick, warm quilt.
Right now it's gotten as far as lining up and pinning the layers, which is the hard part!
Oh boy, will you (please, not) look at the sloppy lining up job on the back of those pieces! I used some 3.5" squares I got at the free swap, with some 4" squares that were new, and didn't bother to trim. Whenever I accidentally got a seam pushed over the wrong way, I snipped it.
*gasp* Not going to make it into the quilting guild, I bet...